Mecha (メカ - me-ka) are giant robots, robot vehicles, robot construction equipment, robot mobile buildings and generally over-sized robot machines. While the original Japanese definition extends to include power armor, exoskeletons, and general sci-fi machinery, for danbooru purposes this tag is for piloted and/or giant robots.
Primarily seen in science fiction settings, though there are several cases of them in fantasy settings.
Types of Mecha
- Externally piloted mecha - A mecha where the controls are external and the pilot rides on top of the machine.
- Walker - A type of walking mecha that usually lacks arms.
- Super Robot - Mecha with super powers.
- Arm Slave (Full Metal Panic!)
- Armored Trooper (Soukou Kihei VOTOMS)
- AT-AT (Star Wars)
- Destroid (Macross)
- Dreadnought (Warhammer 40K)
- Esbeliben (Macross)
- Evangelion (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
- Ferronis (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
- Gekko (Metal Gear)
- Gothicmade (Hana no Utame Gothicmade)
- Holon (Gen:Lock)
- Jaeger (Pacific Rim)
- Kataphrakt (ALDNOAH.ZERO)
- Knightmare Frame (Code Geass)
- Mashin (Magic Knight Rayearth)
- Meka (Overwatch)
- Metal Gear (Metal Gear)
- Mobile Suit (Gundam)
- Morito (Sidonia no Kishi)
- Mortar Headd (Five Star Stories)
- Orbital Frame (Zone of the Enders)
- Skell (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
- Tactical Surface Fighter (MuvLuv Alternative)
- Titan (Titanfall)
- Variable Fighter (Macross)
Other Related tags
- Exoskeleton - Small, external mechanical attachments that tends to be worn rather than piloted. Some may qualify for the mecha tag, though it should be judged on a case by case basis.
- Power armor - Full body mechanical armor that usually augments the wearer's abilities.
- Robot animal - Robot in the shape of an animal, sometimes overlaps with mecha in series such as Zoids and certain Super Sentai entries.
- Robot dragon - Robot in the shape of a dragon, often overlaps with mecha due to their size.
The following tags are aliased to this tag: mech (learn more).
This tag implicates robot (learn more).
The following tags implicate this tag: externally_piloted_mecha, super_robot, and walker (learn more).